Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Where is Brandywine Peace Community on Obama?

Thanks

Where is Brandywine Peace Community on Obama?

I was wondering where the Brandywine Peace Community is concerning Obama bombing Libya? After all, this local group of liberals have often been out protesting Pres. Bush while he was in office. So where are they now?

The Brandywine Peace Community has been well known to protest Bush in the Philly and DELCO area. I was wondering when they will apply their same standards to Obama? I wonder if they will lable Obama the "world's chief war-maker". Read the following:

Gather at Noon on the west side of Phila. City Hall, 15th & Market
    Sts. for a reading of the names of war dead - Iraqi and U.S. - and
    voices of war resistance and justice. From the City Hall we will
    attempt to take a message of public opposition as far as possible to
    the world's chief war-maker! Bring your sign, bring a friend, bring
    your voice to Phila. City Hall (west side) on Monday.
    For more information: Brandywine Peace Community, 610-544-1818
    http://www.phillyfuture.org/node/2238

Thanks

Re: Where is Brandywine Peace Community on Obama?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by daisy-dog View Post
    I'll stand corrected if I'm wrong. However, I cannot find any mention of Libya, or Obama concerning Libya, on the Brandywine Peace Community Calendar. However, here is what I DID find on their 2007 calendar:

"Tuesday, May 1, Four years - and the deaths of thousands and thousands of Iraqis and U.S. troops - after Bush Announced "Mission Accomplished" from the deck of an aircraft carrier, he vetoed legislation that included provisions for a timelime and deadline for the withdrawal of U.S. troops from Iraq. The Brandywine Peace Community and PA Action organized a VETO RESPONSE RALLY at Phila. City Hall to:
    -Say "No!" to Bush's Insistence For More War -Don't Let Congress Buckle to Bush and The War -Stand Together Saying: END THE WAR, NOT WAR WITHOUT END!"
    ------------------------------

I'm just wondering when the Brandywine Peace Community is going to start applying the same standards, language, and protests to Obama?

contir Guest

There was a protest but it was scheduled after the Calendar was updated so the announcement went out only to the email list. Please join the email list by sending your email address to brandywine@juno.com. Thanks. Here's the text:
    U.S. Assault on Libya Emergency Protest
    TOMORROW, March 21, 4:30p.m.,
    Phila. City Hall (west side), 15th & Market Sts., Phila., PA

The news is now reporting that the U.S., British, and French bombardment of Libya well extended in extent and lethality the goal of the requisite destroying of Gadhafi's anti-aircraft emplacements in order to establish a Libyan No-Fly Zone. The U.S. has now taken over the lead in the massive bombardment of Libya including the launch of more than 100 Tomahawk cruise missiles from Aegis cruisers as well as precision-guided missiles and bombs dropped from B-2 long range stealth bombers.

That 'slippery slope' that some critics - including Secretary of Defense Gates - warned us about as calls grew louder for a U.S. enforced No-Fly Zone over Libya is now looking like another war. Iraq, Afghanistan, now Libya? Is that all the U.S. can do now?

Gadhafi is predicting a "long war". Don't you think that the U.S. should deny his maniacal prediction, and brutality against his own people, by not adding to the violence and killing. As we observe the 8th anniversary of the start of the Iraq War, lets say again: WAR IS NOT THE ANSWER.

Join the Area Protest TOMORROW, March 21, 4:30p.m., Phila. City Hall (west side), 15th & Market Sts., Phila., PA. Banners will be available, and a few signs. Bring your own anti-war signs if you wish.

Called by Brandywine Peace Community (610-544-1818) and Philly Against War (267-994-9448)

Thanks

Interesting! Still no mention of protesting Obama. Why does Brandywine Peace Community give Obama a free pass? Why not the same tone and language they used on President Bush?

Here is some history on the Brandywine Peace Community:

In Dec. 2001, about two months after the September 11 attack on the World Trade Center NYC, the Brandywine Peace Community protested Congressman Curt Weldon.

Bob Smith of the Brandywine Peace Community says there is another way to deal with the conflict and demonstrated in front of Weldon's office to get the message to him.

"It's becoming quite frightening to think of a never-ending war against terrorism, which only means more terror and bringing about more terrorists," he said. "The point is to bring a voice of peace to the voice of war. (Weldon) is one of the chief voices of war in Congress."
    http://www.delcotimes.com/articles/2...ewmode=default

In April 2002, the Brandywine Peace Community protested during a visit by President Bush at Penn State.

The Brandywine Peace Community, the Swarthmore-Delco branch of the Women's International League for Peace and Freedom and the Peace Center of Delaware County will gather at the Middletown Friends Meetinghouse about noon.

They'll then walk down the street to the college, carrying a large peace sign and banners -- one reading, "Enough, No War, No More."
    http://www.delcotimes.com/articles/2...ewmode=default

I would also like to add; these two events mentioned above took place long before the 2003 invasion of Iraq. Just to give a timeline.

So I am just wondering when the Brandywine Peace Community is going to start holding President Obama to the same standard they held President Bush?

Here is an even MORE interesting bit of info EVERYBODY forgot:

Biden was a strong supporter of the 2001 war in Afghanistan, saying "Whatever it takes, we should do it."[74] Regarding Iraq, Biden stated in 2002 that Saddam Hussein was a threat to national security, and that there was no option but to eliminate that threat.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Biden

Thanks

I think is's called a "FREE PASS"
    “Go to heaven for the climate and hell for the company.”

7. The Following User Says Thank You to justlooking For This Useful Post:

Buba (01-31-2013)

contir Guest

You seem to be implying that Brandywine has Democratic Party sympathies. I have been a member for 26 years and I can tell you that is definitely NOT TRUE. Just because Bush is mentioned but Obama is not doesn't mean anything. Throughout the Clinton Administration we were protesting Clinton policies and actions both here and around the world. (Unfortunately none of this history is on the Web as this the was the pre-web era!) If I could sum up the philosophy that most Brandywine people would agree to it would be this: NEITHER party has all the answers. In fact, both parties are the SAME on many issues. On the issue of warmaking and militarism, we feel there is really only ONE party in the US - the pro-war party! We are against spending more than 50% of our Federal tax $ each year for war-making. We are in favor of re-directing Federal tax $ to funding human needs such as health care, education, infrastructure repair, scientific research, etc, etc - stuff that specifically benefits human beings instead of destroying them. We believe our nation is destroying itself from within by squandering so much national wealth on war-making. We want that to stop.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by contir View Post
    You seem to be implying that Brandywine has Democratic Party sympathies. I have been a member for 26 years and I can tell you that is definitely NOT TRUE. Just because Bush is mentioned but Obama is not doesn't mean anything. Throughout the Clinton Administration we were protesting Clinton policies and actions both here and around the world. (Unfortunately none of this history is on the Web as this the was the pre-web era!) If I could sum up the philosophy that most Brandywine people would agree to it would be this: NEITHER party has all the answers. In fact, both parties are the SAME on many issues. On the issue of warmaking and militarism, we feel there is really only ONE party in the US - the pro-war party! We are against spending more than 50% of our Federal tax $ each year for war-making. We are in favor of re-directing Federal tax $ to funding human needs such as health care, education, infrastructure repair, scientific research, etc, etc - stuff that specifically benefits human beings instead of destroying them. We believe our nation is destroying itself from within by squandering so much national wealth on war-making. We want that to stop.
    Agreed. Please tell this to Commander in Chief Obama.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,760 Times in 1,915 Posts

So tell me - will there be any Libya/Obama protest signs at your upcoming events? It will be an opportunity to show how no-partisan you are.

Thanks

You seem to be implying that Brandywine has Democratic Party sympathies. I have been a member for 26 years and I can tell you that is definitely NOT TRUE.
    Well, let's connect the dots! The Brandywine Peace Community is endorsed by Swarthmore College:
    http://www.swarthmore.edu/Library/pe...sPeaceOrgs.htm

And Swarthmore College endorsed Joe Sestak (Democrat) for Congress. Here is an excerpt from the Swarthmore College newspaper:

Sestak — representative since 2007 for the 7th Congressional district, which Swarthmore is a part of — served 31 years in the Navy and attained the rank of three-star admiral. He is the most senior military veteran to ever serve in Congress, and was named the most productive House freshman.
    Importantly, he has close ties to the college. Swarthmore students who have canvassed for him and worked in his office speak highly of him as both a Democrat committed to progressive policy and a person genuinely engaged with his constituents.
    In turn, he supports the same kinds of issues that students at the college are interested in. He wants to repeal the “don’t ask, don’t tell” military policy; voted for the economic bailout; and has supported unions, abortion rights and gay rights issues.
    http://www.swarthmorephoenix.com/201...didates-for-pa

See, many don't know your group's ties to Swarthmore College.

contir Guest

You are completely wrong. I am sorry to have to be so blunt, but it's true. Brandywine is not "endorsed" by Swarthmore (or any other) College. As you apparently do not know, the Swarthmore Library is the repository of many historical documents which are part of what they call the "Peace Collection" which is a resource used by academic researchers from around the world. Archival Brandywine documents are stored in the Peace Collection. It is hoped that someday someone will want to write a history of Brandywine and will use these documents for research. You could probably go there and look at them yourself if you really wanted to.
    However it is true that there are many Swarthmore individuals - faculty and students, mostly - who have participated in Brandywine activities over the years. This is also true of Villanova, Temple, Penn and many other educational institutions in this region. Bob Smith is a frequent speaker in courses which are offered in many institutions. Generally, he speaks about the "permanent war economy", the "military-industrial-academic complex" and specifically Lockheed Martin, which is the world's number 1 weapons corporation and which is the primary focus of Brandywine activities.

Thanks

Am I welcome to show up with my sign saying "Obama is a war criminal" and "no cruise missiles in Libya" ?

14. The Following User Says Thank You to daisy-dog For This Useful Post:

Buba (01-31-2013)

Thanks

You are completely wrong. I am sorry to have to be so blunt, but it's true. Brandywine is not "endorsed" by Swarthmore (or any other) College.
    OK, let's connect somemore dots. The following is an excerpt from the DELCO Times:
    -------------------------------
    The Brandywine Peace Community, the Swarthmore-Delco branch of the Women's International League for Peace and Freedom and the Peace Center of Delaware County will gather at the Middletown Friends Meetinghouse about noon.

They'll then walk down the street to the college, carrying a large peace sign and banners -- one reading, "Enough, No War, No More."
    http://www.delcotimes.com/articles/2...txt?viewmode=2
    --------------------------------

Now for something many people don't know. Look what is located at Swarthmore College on campus. The Swarthmore College Friends Meetinghouse.
    http://www.swarthmore.edu/campusmap/...on=swatfriends

You also did admit the following in your last post:

"However it is true that there are many Swarthmore individuals - faculty and students, mostly - who have participated in Brandywine activities over the years."

I think it's safe to say we are talking about the same circle of people.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Pachyderm For This Useful Post:

Buba (01-31-2013)

Thanks

You are completely wrong. I am sorry to have to be so blunt, but it's true. Brandywine is not "endorsed" by Swarthmore (or any other) College.
    It did not surprise area peace activists that the man who disrupted President Bush's day of rest with cries for peace in the Persian Gulf was John Schuchardt.
    A lawyer and one-time member of the Swarthmore-based Brandywine Peace Community,Schuchardt has a history of risking embarrassment, jail and bodily harm to speak out for peace, the activists say.

Schuchardt attended Swarthmore College in Delaware County and later became an administrator at the school, Smith said. After law school at the University of Chicago and a stint as head of the Public Defender's Office in Brattleboro, Vt., Schuchardt underwent a "spiritual conversion" and redirected his life to peace activism, said Smith. Trips to Hiroshima and Nagasaki intensified Schuchardt's commitment.
    http://articles.philly.com/1991-02-1...an-jonah-house

contir Guest

Please explain to me why the issue of Brandywine's partisan or non-partisan-ship is of concern to you. Why do you even care? Brandywine is what it is which is vastly different from what you are assuming, implying and snidely suggesting it is. So what? You don't like it, fine. Don't come to any events. Don't contribute. But please don't spread lies, either. Just let us do what we do and you do whatever it is you do. Thanks for a good discussion.

Thanks

You seem to be implying that Brandywine has Democratic Party sympathies. I have been a member for 26 years and I can tell you that is definitely NOT TRUE.
    Compare the two reports from the DELCO Times. Here is the tone of the Brandywine Peace Community during a visit by "Presidential Candidate" then Senator Barack Obama:
    ------------------------------------

CHESTER — The Brandywine Peace Community will hold a peace vigil today in light of presidential candidate Sen. Barack Obama’s visit to Widener University.

The activists will gather with banners and signs at the Widener main gate, 14th Street and Providence Avenue, at 9 a.m. today.

The purpose of the vigil is to give a nonpartisan plea for peace and the end of the Iraq and Afghanistan wars, while encouraging people to continue peace activism after the election, according to a release issued by the group.
    http://www.delcotimes.com/articles/2...7926097618.txt
    ---------------------------------------

Now compare to the McCain/Palin rally:
    ---------------------------------------

MEDIA - Republican White House hopefuls Sen. John McCain, of Arizona, and Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin may have come to Delaware County Monday afternoon to energize their own base, but they sure managed to do a good job of exciting their opponents' supporters, as well.

"No more of the same! Bush, war and McCain!" chanted a group with the Brandywine Peace Community, as GOP voters dressed in red lined up to enter the rally.
    http://www.delcotimes.com/articles/2...s/20132905.txt

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Pachyderm For This Useful Post:

Buba (01-31-2013)

Thanks

OrthoStice Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Pachyderm View Post
    Well, let's connect the dots!
    You can connect all the dots that you want dopey, but you opened this thread by making a thinly veiled point disguised as a poorly posed question.

Then the question was answered showing that your point was incorrect.

Just man-up, admit you were wrong and move onto your next baseless accusation.

contir Guest

I have tried to clearly explain why your assumptions/accusations about Brandywine are incorrect but I'm not a great communicator so I seem to have failed to convince you. I see no point in continuing this discussion. Thanks for an interesting interchange of ideas.

Thanks

I have tried to clearly explain why your assumptions/accusations about Brandywine are incorrect but I'm not a great communicator so I seem to have failed to convince you. I see no point in continuing this discussion. Thanks for an interesting interchange of ideas.
    OK, how about this. How do you feel about military women serving in combat? Do you consider them to be "war mongers"? After all, these are women who desire to serve in combat.

I know this is an old thread I started some time ago, but this is a great time to bring this up again.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast