Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Today in Stupid

Thanks
    Thanked 1,073 Times in 819 Posts

Re: Today in Stupid

Quote Originally Posted by Nativeson View Post
    Some in the scientific community come across much like Trayvon Martin supporters on this forum. You'd find it thought provoking.
    Aw, Nativeson. What about those of us who support Trayvon Martin (well, his right not to be shot, anyway), but who weren't good at science? <feeling left out>

Thanks

I get endlessly frustrated when the folks who claim to rely on science and reason don't get their facts straight.

May 6, 2011 5:25 pm
    More on that Bill Nye-Waco-moon-God thing.

So, a story’s making the rounds — again — on Tumblr that Bill Nye was booed for contradicting the Bible in Waco, Texas, by pointing out that the moon doesn’t generate its own light.
    That did, in fact, happen…in April, 2006. And the next night, Nye got on MSNBC’s Countdown to discuss the incident. He insisted that he wasn’t heckled, but lost in all the hubbub was this even more important point he’d hoped to make (emphasis added):
    UNGER: …Let’s start first, though, with what happened to you during that lecture. Now as a scientist you come across this sort of heckling from time to time?…
    NYE: I have to tell you guys, I didn’t think I was heckled. People left. I don’t remember being heckled. I got a standing O at the end…
    UNGER: Lots of shouts out there. That was kind of a heckle.
    NYE: Let’s—I don’t want to get to far afield here and talk too much about me, but I was talking about how a very famous reverend, Jerry Falwell insisted that he thinks that global climate change, global heating is a myth, and he was going to buy a Chevy Suburban the next time he had an opportunity, and I pointed out that that’s bad.
    And that the literal interpretation of the Bible, to me, is not satisfactory, it’s just not enough information…
    Some people left because they were concerned. Knock yourselves out. But people—we have taxpayers and voters that don’t believe in global heating, think it’s a myth. That’s not in anybody’s best interest. I’m going to tell you, as a scientist and so on, engineer and taxpayer and voter that global heating, global warming is a very serious problem. And you can’t ignore it. It’s a problem discovered through the process of science. So it’s a worthy thing.

I can explain it to you, but I cannot comprehend it for you.

Ed Koch

3. The Following User Says Thank You to notveryhow For This Useful Post:

prettylight (05-07-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,156 Times in 858 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by prettylight View Post
    Aw, Nativeson. What about those of us who support Trayvon Martin (well, his right not to be shot, anyway), but who weren't good at science? <feeling left out>
    Not in that way, hon. Only in a sense that there is an agenda (with the Martin case it's the very commendable desire to fight racism) that clouds reason to a certain extent; when the accepted narrative is challenged, the wagons are circled ever more tightly. With new information should come the freedom to reconsider one's position on a matter, but some people opt to dig in even deeper.

Thanks

Religion has dug us a whole entirely too deep to fill.
    "Don’t let anybody tell you that it’s corporations and businesses that create jobs." Hillary Clinton 10/24/14

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nativeson View Post
    With new information should come the freedom to reconsider one's position on a matter, but some people opt to dig in even deeper.
    Thanks, Nativeson. Your post was much kinder than that goofy post deserved. That is food for thought, and well said. I know it's true.

The only frustrating thing is, wishing there weren't so much misinformation, or skewed information, passing as new information.

Thanks

More interesting stuff about how various scientists feel about religion. (Thank you, notveryhow.) Some diverse views, the whole spectrum:

http://www.templeton.org/belief/essays/essays.pdf

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Flashback View Post
    Religion has dug us a whole entirely too deep to fill.
    Perhaps you haven't seen true religion in practice.

James 1:27

27 Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.

Now that ^^^ just gums up the world, doesn't it?
    Good advice is never popular,
    it is seldom remembered,
    & rarely followed

9. The Following User Says Thank You to BBug17 For This Useful Post:

Nativeson (05-08-2012)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BBug17 View Post

27 Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.

Real religion? Nun at center of Spain's stolen babies scandal refuses to testify
    "Don’t let anybody tell you that it’s corporations and businesses that create jobs." Hillary Clinton 10/24/14

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Flashback For This Useful Post:

finchfeeder (05-09-2012)

Thanks

Your point is?

Stealing babies is not in any doctrine I've ever seen. Every walk of life has its extremists. Religion, sports, politics, education, science, business, just don't toss out the stolen baby with the bath water...
    Good advice is never popular,
    it is seldom remembered,
    & rarely followed

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BBug17 For This Useful Post:

DiamondLil (05-08-2012),Martin Riggs (05-08-2012),prettylight (05-08-2012),treehugger (05-08-2012)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BBug17 View Post

27 Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world."

True religion.

Question: Who said this?

Then Peter came and said to Him, “Lord, how often shall my brother sin against me and I forgive him? Up to seven times?” [He] said to him, “I do not say to you, up to seven times, but up to seventy times seven.

Now, who said this?

“But when the Son of Man comes in His glory, and all the angels with Him, then He will sit on His glorious throne. All the nations will be gathered before Him; and He will separate them from one another, as the shepherd separates the sheep from the goats; and He will put the sheep on His right, and the goats on the left.

“Then the King will say to those on His right, ‘Come, you who are blessed of My Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world. For I was hungry, and you gave Me something to eat; I was thirsty, and you gave Me something to drink; I was a stranger, and you invited Me in; naked, and you clothed Me; I was sick, and you visited Me; I was in prison, and you came to Me.’ Then the righteous will answer Him, ‘Lord, when did we see You hungry, and feed You, or thirsty, and give You something to drink? And when did we see You a stranger, and invite You in, or naked, and clothe You? When did we see You sick, or in prison, and come to You?’ The King will answer and say to them, ‘Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did it to one of these brothers of Mine, even the least of them, you did it to Me.’

“Then He will also say to those on His left, ‘ Depart from Me, accursed ones, into the eternal fire which has been prepared for the devil and his angels; for I was hungry, and you gave Me nothing to eat; I was thirsty, and you gave Me nothing to drink; I was a stranger, and you did not invite Me in; naked, and you did not clothe Me; sick, and in prison, and you did not visit Me.’ Then they themselves also will answer, ‘Lord, when did we see You hungry, or thirsty, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not take care of You?’ Then He will answer them, ‘Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to Me.’ These will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.”

Why would the Teacher not follow his own teachings?
    "We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately." -- Benjamin Franklin
    "Take the risk of thinking for yourself." -- Christopher Hitchens

Rendez-vous en Septembre, Habitants.
    Que les dieux du hockey sourire sur vous la saison prochaine.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,207 Times in 992 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by prettylight View Post
    If he didn't want to be shot he should have attacked an unarmed man......his bad.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Riggs View Post
    If he didn't want to be shot he should have attacked an unarmed man......his bad.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to prettylight For This Useful Post:

treehugger (05-08-2012)

Thanks

Most Christians I know do argue with science. They deny any evidence, even that proven over and over, that their book is wrong.
    It stands to reason that we know different Christians. We tend to hang around with those who agree with us. :0)

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Wonder For This Useful Post:

BBug17 (05-10-2012)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Wonder View Post
    It stands to reason that we know different Christians. We tend to hang around with those who agree with us. :0)
    Not me. One of my best friends is a priest.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123