Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 27

Thread: Why Do People Believe in Ghosts?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    26,286
    Thanks
    1,415
    Thanked 2,760 Times in 1,915 Posts

    Why Do People Believe in Ghosts?

    In June, Sheila Sillery-Walsh, a British tourist visiting the historic island-prison of Alcatraz in San Francisco, claimed that she captured an image of a ghost in a picture she snapped on her iPhone. In the frame of what was otherwise supposed to be a picture of an empty prison cell was a blurry black and white image of a woman. The story, which was printed in the British tabloid the Daily Mail, featured on the Bay Area's local KRON4 TV station and mocked by SFist, isn't the first time the Daily Mail has claimed that strange images have come up on smart devices.
    Normally, a paranormal story wouldn’t catch my attention, but a few months before the story came out, a Spanish friend of mine named Laura showed me a weird image she found on her phone while I was traveling in Madrid. The photo, taken on her iPhone while on a trip to Ethiopia, shows a boy looking down at leaves he is holding in his hands. Seemingly superimposed onto the boy is another image of the boy, hands in a different position and eyes looking straight at the camera.
    Laura was convinced she captured an image of a ghost.

    Then a few weeks later I discovered an image of a man in the background of a photo I took with my own iPhone. The picture was taken in my apartment and the man, whom I can’t identify, was not actually in the apartment at the time. I’ve been using the photo to scare my friends, and myself, ever since.
    * * *
    Recent surveys have shown that a significant portion of the population believes in ghosts, leading some scholars to conclude that we are witnessing a revival of paranormal beliefs in Western society. A Harris poll from last year found that 42 percent of Americans say they believe in ghosts. The percentage is similar in the U.K., where 52 percent of respondents indicated that they believed in ghosts in a recent poll. Though it’s tough to estimate how large the paranormal tourism industry is—tours of sites that are supposedly haunted (rather than staged haunted houses)—there are 10,000 haunted locations in the U.K. according to the country’s tourist board, and sites like HauntedRooms.co.uk list dozens of allegedly haunted hotels where curious visitors can stay. In the U.S., residents of places like Ellicott City in Howard County, Maryland pride themselves on their haunted heritage.

    read more................http://www.theatlantic.com/health/ar...ngle_page=true
    America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. - Claire Wolfe

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Newark, De.
    Posts
    537
    Thanks
    66
    Thanked 117 Times in 78 Posts

    Re: Why Do People Believe in Ghosts?

    Why do people believe in ghosts? Because they want to believe. Why do people believe in gods? Same answer.

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to tarkus1 For This Useful Post:

    Flashback (09-06-2014)

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    10,572
    Thanks
    229
    Thanked 1,066 Times in 807 Posts

    Re: Why Do People Believe in Ghosts?

    If you don't believe in something, you'll fall for anything.
    When guns are outlawed - I'll be an outlaw!

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    8,729
    Thanks
    272
    Thanked 958 Times in 713 Posts

    Re: Why Do People Believe in Ghosts?

    Which would end up in you believing in something.
    More important, the economics of ObamaCare reward scale over competition. Benefits are standardized and premiums are de facto price-controlled. With margins compressed to commodity levels, buying more consumers via mergers is simpler than appealing to them with better products, to the extent the latter is still legal.

    Obamacare's Oligopoly Wave

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    8,729
    Thanks
    272
    Thanked 958 Times in 713 Posts

    Re: Why Do People Believe in Ghosts?

    More important, the economics of ObamaCare reward scale over competition. Benefits are standardized and premiums are de facto price-controlled. With margins compressed to commodity levels, buying more consumers via mergers is simpler than appealing to them with better products, to the extent the latter is still legal.

    Obamacare's Oligopoly Wave

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    1,601
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 80 Times in 52 Posts

    Re: Why Do People Believe in Ghosts?

    some people believe in ghosts bc they want to.

    others believe bc they have had an experience.

    the human body has built into it a series of blind spots. you can only see a small section of the em continuum. you are only able to hear a small section of sound. you can only feel a small range of sensation. basic science class teaches these facts. to then assume that the only things that are real are what you experience with your senses, despite knowing that there is considerably more to existence than what your senses are able to register, is simply illogical.

    that does not mean ghosts are real. but it does mean that if they were, there is a good chance you would never know.

  8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Winston For This Useful Post:

    DiamondLil (09-16-2014),nicle (04-17-2016)

  9. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Delaware County, PA
    Posts
    1,060
    Thanks
    18
    Thanked 170 Times in 120 Posts

    Re: Why Do People Believe in Ghosts?

    Quote Originally Posted by Winston View Post
    some people believe in ghosts bc they want to.

    others believe bc they have had an experience.

    the human body has built into it a series of blind spots. you can only see a small section of the em continuum. you are only able to hear a small section of sound. you can only feel a small range of sensation. basic science class teaches these facts. to then assume that the only things that are real are what you experience with your senses, despite knowing that there is considerably more to existence than what your senses are able to register, is simply illogical.

    that does not mean ghosts are real. but it does mean that if they were, there is a good chance you would never know.
    Good answer! Well articulated! It's also why it amuses me that atheists think they are "Oh so clever". They arrogantly see themselves as a higher level of intellect. Seeing themselves as those who have graduated to a higher level of thinking by shedding archaic superstitions, religion, and belief in a God. truth is, they are only viewing things through narrow tunnel vision. Contrast the above quote with that posted by Tarkus1 earlier:

    Quote Originally Posted by tarkus1 View Post
    Why do people believe in ghosts? Because they want to believe. Why do people believe in gods? Same answer.
    I got one for you! Why do some people believe in Man Made Global Warming? Because they WANT to! Not because there is any science behind it! Sort of like believing in a ghost! is it not?

  10. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    8,729
    Thanks
    272
    Thanked 958 Times in 713 Posts

    Re: Why Do People Believe in Ghosts?

    Quote Originally Posted by Pachyderm View Post
    Good answer! Well articulated! It's also why it amuses me that atheists think they are "Oh so clever". They arrogantly see themselves as a higher level of intellect. Seeing themselves as those who have graduated to a higher level of thinking by shedding archaic superstitions, religion, and belief in a God. truth is, they are only viewing things through narrow tunnel vision.
    Or so you believe. I'm more of an agnostic that believes that religions are used by men to gain power over other men. You on the other hand come across as believing that you're superior because you choose to believe in the unprovable.
    More important, the economics of ObamaCare reward scale over competition. Benefits are standardized and premiums are de facto price-controlled. With margins compressed to commodity levels, buying more consumers via mergers is simpler than appealing to them with better products, to the extent the latter is still legal.

    Obamacare's Oligopoly Wave

  11. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Delaware County, PA
    Posts
    1,060
    Thanks
    18
    Thanked 170 Times in 120 Posts

    Re: Why Do People Believe in Ghosts?

    Quote Originally Posted by Flashback View Post
    Or so you believe. I'm more of an agnostic that believes that religions are used by men to gain power over other men. You on the other hand come across as believing that you're superior because you choose to believe in the unprovable.
    I also believe religions have been used by men to gain power over other men. Doesn't mean God doesn't exist. I am certainly not an agnostic. You on the other hand come across as believing that you're superior because you choose to believe you have people like me all figured out.

  12. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Delaware County
    Posts
    17,171
    Thanks
    186
    Thanked 737 Times in 522 Posts

    Re: Why Do People Believe in Ghosts?

    It is no secret that I am a paranormal investigator. I have been for over ten years. I have seen, heard and experienced too much for me to say they don't exist. I regularly go on investigations both public and private. Historical places as well as peoples homes.

  13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

    crazycatwoman (09-15-2014),DiamondLil (09-16-2014)

  14. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    8,729
    Thanks
    272
    Thanked 958 Times in 713 Posts

    Re: Why Do People Believe in Ghosts?

    Quote Originally Posted by Pachyderm View Post
    I also believe religions have been used by men to gain power over other men. Doesn't mean God doesn't exist. I am certainly not an agnostic. You on the other hand come across as believing that you're superior because you choose to believe you have people like me all figured out.
    And just where have I exhibited that I have people like you all figured out? Are your Socrates in disguise putting words in people's mouths? I merely pointed out that the tone of your post was one of superiority.
    More important, the economics of ObamaCare reward scale over competition. Benefits are standardized and premiums are de facto price-controlled. With margins compressed to commodity levels, buying more consumers via mergers is simpler than appealing to them with better products, to the extent the latter is still legal.

    Obamacare's Oligopoly Wave

  15. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Delaware County, PA
    Posts
    1,060
    Thanks
    18
    Thanked 170 Times in 120 Posts

    Re: Why Do People Believe in Ghosts?

    Quote Originally Posted by Flashback View Post
    And just where have I exhibited that I have people like you all figured out? Are your Socrates in disguise putting words in people's mouths? I merely pointed out that the tone of your post was one of superiority.
    Tone of my post??

  16. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    26,286
    Thanks
    1,415
    Thanked 2,760 Times in 1,915 Posts

    Re: Why Do People Believe in Ghosts?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    It is no secret that I am a paranormal investigator. I have been for over ten years. I have seen, heard and experienced too much for me to say they don't exist. I regularly go on investigations both public and private. Historical places as well as peoples homes.
    I neither believe nor disbelieve in ghosts. It's hard to have an objective opinion of something you haven't experienced. I'll leave it to the experts. I do believe that there are times when something greater than ourselves guides us. That I have experienced and took a direction that I would have never considered without something unknown leading me that way. It turned out to be the right way.
    America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. - Claire Wolfe

  17. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Delaware County, PA
    Posts
    1,060
    Thanks
    18
    Thanked 170 Times in 120 Posts

    Re: Why Do People Believe in Ghosts?

    Quote Originally Posted by DiamondLil View Post
    I neither believe nor disbelieve in ghosts. It's hard to have an objective opinion of something you haven't experienced. I'll leave it to the experts. I do believe that there are times when something greater than ourselves guides us. That I have experienced and took a direction that I would have never considered without something unknown leading me that way. It turned out to be the right way.
    Your response almost mirrors what Winston posted earlier, and they are both good and wise postions to take:

    Quote Originally Posted by Winston View Post
    ........to then assume that the only things that are real are what you experience with your senses, despite knowing that there is considerably more to existence than what your senses are able to register, is simply illogical.

    that does not mean ghosts are real. but it does mean that if they were, there is a good chance you would never know.
    Here is a quote from the movie comedy "Men In Black". Of course it's fiction and comedy, but this quote from the movie fits the point being made in this post:

    1500 years ago, everybody knew that the Earth was the center of the universe. 500 years ago, everybody knew that the Earth was flat. And 15 minutes ago, you knew that people were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow.
    Agent K
    Last edited by Pachyderm; 09-17-2014 at 06:52 AM.

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to Pachyderm For This Useful Post:

    DiamondLil (09-17-2014)

  19. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    10
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Re: Why Do People Believe in Ghosts?

    I've had experiences that most people would chalk up to the existence of ghosts. I just prefer to acknowledge the event, but let the reasons be undetermined until I know more. Things like this are really difficult to know more about.
    Design today and gain forever

  20. #16
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    10,572
    Thanks
    229
    Thanked 1,066 Times in 807 Posts

    Re: Why Do People Believe in Ghosts?

    People who believe in ghosts are fools with an overactive imagination. Much like those who believe in Global Warming!
    When guns are outlawed - I'll be an outlaw!

  21. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    8,729
    Thanks
    272
    Thanked 958 Times in 713 Posts

    Re: Why Do People Believe in Ghosts?

    And religion!
    More important, the economics of ObamaCare reward scale over competition. Benefits are standardized and premiums are de facto price-controlled. With margins compressed to commodity levels, buying more consumers via mergers is simpler than appealing to them with better products, to the extent the latter is still legal.

    Obamacare's Oligopoly Wave

  22. #18
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    10,572
    Thanks
    229
    Thanked 1,066 Times in 807 Posts

    Re: Why Do People Believe in Ghosts?

    Quote Originally Posted by Flashback View Post
    And religion!
    Wurd dat.
    When guns are outlawed - I'll be an outlaw!

  23. #19
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Frackville, PA
    Posts
    585
    Thanks
    37
    Thanked 19 Times in 12 Posts

    Re: Why Do People Believe in Ghosts?

    I guess if you never had an experience you do not believe. If you do you do believe.

    My question how many of you have had an experience?
    Be the change you wish to see in the world." -Mahatma Gandhi
    Those who claim perfect mental health are truely insane.

    REMEMBER - EVERYONE SEEMS NORMAL UNTIL YOU GET TO KNOW THEM.

  24. #20
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    10,572
    Thanks
    229
    Thanked 1,066 Times in 807 Posts

    Re: Why Do People Believe in Ghosts?

    Quote Originally Posted by nicle View Post
    I guess if you never had an experience you do not believe. If you do you do believe.

    My question how many of you have had an experience?
    Lol. There is no one out there that has ever had an experience. HOWEVER! There are many who believe they HAVE had an experience. There are no ghosts, spirits, aberrations, floating images etc. Never have been, never will be.

    Just like God, if you believe it, it IS real - period.
    When guns are outlawed - I'll be an outlaw!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •