Thread: New Color Coded Detour Signs in PA

Thanks

New Color Coded Detour Signs in PA

http://www.philly.com/inquirer/local...ith_color.html

PennDot targets tie-ups with color

By Art Carey
    Inquirer Staff Writer

PennDot's rule of thumb is that for every five minutes an incident slows or blocks traffic - whether it be a jackknifed tractor-trailer or a car fire - there is a half hour of lingering congestion.

To reduce tie-ups, the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation has begun erecting color-coded detour signs on highways and byways near interstates and expressways.
    Perhaps you've noticed them. The signs are rectangular with a white background, but the border, arrow and the word detour are one of several different colors - red, blue, green, brown and orange.

"The idea is that if there's an incident on the interstate or expressway, these signs will tell you where to get off and what route to follow to get back on," PennDot spokesman Charles Metzger said. "It's a way to get around the incident site."

PennDot began installing the signs last month. So far, about 200 have been erected in District Six, which encompasses Philadelphia and Bucks, Chester, Delaware and Montgomery Counties.

By spring, about 500 signs will be in place on roads adjoining the exits of such local interstate highways as 95, 76, 476 and 676. In the next phase, to be completed by the fall, color-coded detour signs will be erected on local roads adjoining the exits of such limited-access expressways as 202, 422 and 309, Metzger said.

The colors of the signs have directional meaning, PennDot district traffic engineer Lou Belmonte said. Blue means north, red means south, green means east and orange means west. But in some areas alternate colors may be used, especially when detour routes overlap. "Nothing is etched in stone," Belmonte said.

It works like this: Say you're heading east on the Schuylkill Expressway and traffic has slowed because of an accident between the Belmont Avenue and City Avenue exits. Alerted by an electronic message sign or radio traffic report, you could get off the expressway at Belmont Avenue, where green detour signs would guide you along local roads back to the expressway at City Avenue, so you could continue your journey east.

"This is really an extension of the emergency-preparedness plans that were formulated after 9/11," Metzger said. "Our goal was to identify routes people could take not only in case of a major emergency or disaster, when people have to be moved in and out of areas quickly and efficiently, but also when a crash or winter storm forces the closing of an expressway or interstate."

Last Valentine's Day, a winter storm caused a monstrous tie-up on a 50-mile stretch of I-78 in eastern Pennsylvania, as well as on Interstates 81 and 80. Hundreds of motorists spent a frigid night in their vehicles, many without food or water, after the storm dumped a mixture of snow, sleet and freezing rain.
    Authorities were criticized for not shutting entrance ramps sooner and directing motorists to alternative routes.
    Plans already were afoot to expand the state's system of color-coded detour signs, but that epic snafu, which embarrassed Pennsylvania and elicited an apology from the governor, underscored the necessity of the effort and added to its urgency, PennDot spokesman Steve Chizmar said.
    I have started to see these pop up throughout the area and wondered what they were all about. Now I know.

Thanks

Re: New Color Coded Detour Signs in PA

I had no idea what they looked like until I looked them up:

DAVID M WARREN / Inquirer Staff Photographer

An orange detour sign on Belmont Avenue, near the Schuylkill Expressway entrance. PennDot is using color-coded signs to show motorists how to avoid traffic blockages.

DAVID M WARREN / Inquirer Staff Photographer

Among the new detour signs are an orange one (left) on Belmont Avenue near a Schuylkill Expressway entrance and a green one (right) on Rock Hill Road at Belmont.

Thanks

We have had them in Cumberland County, especially on I81, at Carlisle for as long as I can remember... Always accidents in that section of 81.
    Life has no remote. Get up and change it yourself.

Thanks

Thank you GL, I always wondered what they were for as well. I just thought they were left up from old construction. Good to know

Thanks

I've seen these signs all over the Pocono's since I moved there in 2001. I think all TRUCK DRIVERS know what they mean.

Thanks

Yeah, they have them all over the place in the Scranton area, I haven't seen them to much in the Hazleton area though, I never pay attention to them anyway

Thanks

PennDOT installs color-coded signs

At the intersection of Route 313 and Old Easton Road near the Route 611 Bypass is a sign marked "Blue Detour."

It points in the direction of the Doylestown Airport. But where does it take drivers, and what exactly is it directing them away from?

The answer is nowhere and nothing, at least not yet. Color-coded detour signs like this one have been popping up all over the region, leaving many drivers scratching their heads over what they mean.

It turns out it's a Pennsylvania Department of Transportation initiative that detours traffic away from road closures in the event of an emergency such as flooding or a serious accident.

The statewide program began a year ago, and there are currently about 400 of these signs posted in the Philadelphia region near limited-access highways and interstates.

If a detour is activated, PennDOT will alert the media and post information on electronic highway message boards telling drivers which color to follow. There are several colors, including blue, red, green and orange.

The colors are directional. 'Blue' sends motorists north, while 'Red' takes them south.

"It's a way to help reduce congestion during an emergency," said PennDOT spokesman Charlie Metzger. "It's a low-tech, low-cost option."

So far, PennDOT has not had to use the system.

"We hope we don't need to," said Metzger.

PennDOT is still working to install more signs. SOURCE

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Green Lantern View Post
    Last Valentine's Day, a winter storm caused a monstrous tie-up on a 50-mile stretch of I-78 in eastern Pennsylvania, as well as on Interstates 81 and 80. Hundreds of motorists spent a frigid night in their vehicles, many without food or water, after the storm dumped a mixture of snow, sleet and freezing rain.
    Authorities were criticized for not shutting entrance ramps sooner and directing motorists to alternative routes.
    Plans already were afoot to expand the state's system of color-coded detour signs, but that epic snafu, which embarrassed Pennsylvania and elicited an apology from the governor, underscored the necessity of the effort and added to its urgency, PennDot spokesman Steve Chizmar said.
    This part is hilarious. I live near the 81/78 split and the color-coded detours have been in place for a long time around here. The Valentine's Day fiasco was an Epic Fail on the part of human beings, and apparently they're still trying to avoid taking full responsibility.

Thanks

I haven't had the priveledge in seeing these signs yet. But won't they be confusing to motorists? And how are they going to communicate this to them? Are they going to put more of those electronic signs all over the area? And how are people going to know what this all means? Even if they do this, how are the people who don't have computers know or remember what this all means. It'll be like someone without a map trying to find Blair Oklahoma who has never been there before.

Thanks

I wonder what happens when a bunch of mischievous teenagers steals the signs, or even worse, moves them around?

(should I not be giving folks ideas? )

Thanks

Just what we need, I am already directionally illiterate & now I will be even more confused!
    "Out of the crooked timber of humanity, nothing entirely straight can be built." -Immanuel Kent

Thanks

I just drive till I figure it all out...

Not really - the color coded signs are needed around here because one road is a detour for 3 that are closed down for bridge repair. I have found them to be very useful.
    Life has no remote. Get up and change it yourself.